Prep work is essential for me to be relaxed, authentic and empathetic in an interview.
Here are some of the things I do to prepare:
- Choose people who are willing to be interviewed.
- Learn as much as I can about the interviewee, from my client, Linkedin, etc.
- Think about the kinds of information I need for my deliverables.
- If I’ve done other interviews, prioritize what I am still missing.
- Prepare appropriate questions in advance, more than I will need. Put them in priority order.
- Eliminate any leading questions.
- Eliminate questions answered in my background research, unless I want to confirm something.
- Prepare an intro that will put the interviewee at ease to be candid. Put myself at ease too!
- I like interviewing with 2-3 people. Enough to have a notetaker, but not too many to intimidate.
- Have clear roles for each person on the interview. One person should conduct it.
- Be there early, whether in person or in a conference call. This helps me be at ease.
#uxr #research #interviews #ux #userexperience #productdesign #primitivespark